Core Project Areas
EBC has experience in undertaking social research in the both the Natural and Built environments. There are also 'Content Areas' which occur across different research environments. For example:
- the application and use of community engagement processes,
- the use of decision support systems,
- the application and use of GIS in the analysis of social data,
- capacity building and assessment,
- social impact assessment and
- the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation programs.
All research is underpinned by a conceptual and theoretical understanding of social processes and uses a range of research methods, including both qualitative and quantitative techniques and both primary and secondary data sources.
Much of the research and practice is embedded in community engagement and participation. As examples, these include:
- the identification of 'local knowledge' systems,
- the integration of 'local' and 'technical' knowledge systems,
- the use of participatory processes in identifying and selecting development or policy options, and
- the use of negotiation techniques in assisting the resolution of conflicts amongst stakeholders.